Bordered by Sherbrooke Street to the north, Guy Street to the west, the Ville Marie Expressway to the south and Saint Dominique Street to the east, downtown is the heart of the city and is part of the Ville-Marie borough. The head offices of corporations such as SNC-Lavalin, Hydro-Québec, la Banque Nationale and the Fédération des Caisses Desjardins can be found in the skycrapers that dot René Levesque Boulevard. The sector is packed with shops and restaurants, and many interconnected malls make up the underground city. These shops can mostly be found along St. Catherine Street. The downtown core is bursting with life during the week, with people going to and from work. And during the evenings and on weekends, thanks to its myriad bars and clubs, it doesn't get a moment's rest!
Downtown you'll find luxury apartments and condos. The neighbourhood will mainly interest young professionals, who want to live near all the action, or businesspeople who want a pied à terre in the city. Needless to say, if downtown living is your dream, your means must match your ambitions.
Features and attractions (not an exhaustive list)
- Place-des-Arts, McGill, and Peel metro stations on the green line, and Place d'Armes, Square Victoria, Bonaventure and Lucien L'allier stations on the orange line
- The underground city, a network of tunnels connect you to the inside of many office buildings, residential complexes, malls, universities, luxury residences and hotels
- Stock Exchange Tower
- Canadian Centre for Architecture
- Museum of Fine Arts
- McCord Museum, a museum of Montreal history
- The Redpath Museum, McGill University's museum
- The Contemporary Art Museum
- The Percival Molson Memorial Stadium, the home of the Montreal Alouettes
- Concordia University's downtown campus
- Mcgill University, an English university of international renown
- The Ecole de technologie superieure (ETS), a public engineering school
- The Marie-Reine-du-Monde cathedral, the third largest church in Quebec
- Phillips Square
- Victoria Square
- Canada Place
- St-George church, a magnificent little anglican church
- St-Patrick church, an Irish Catholic church
- Dorchester Square
- The Bell Centre, a concert venue and Montreal Canadiens hockey arena
Discover new condo projects in downtown here.
Discover new houses in downtown here.
See the boundaries of downtown in Google Maps.